Training for Transition
Object: to inspire, encourage and inform people in the Transition process.
The Transition Town movement offers an opportunity to create a future that is abundant, sustainable and resilient as we stand at this critical time. Our response to the global challenges of climate change and peak oil will shape the lives of generations to come.
In 2009, Transition Shire Wingecarribee hosted the national Transition Training workshops given by UK trainers, Naresh Giangrande and Sophy Banks. They have prepared local groups to deliver this program, which offers a vision and action plan for the transition to a low-carbon future in socially connected, resilient communities.
What you can expect at your Transition Training Workshop:
- an in-depth experiential introduction to Transition
- an inspirational and energetic boost that will empower and propel you as a powerful Transition catalyst in your community
- connection with others who are responding to the call for Transition
This 2-day fundamentals course is designed for those thinking of creating a Transition Initiative or already in a group working towards becoming a Transition Initiative. The course is packed with imaginative and inspiring ways to delve into both the theory and practice of Transition.
On completing the course participants will:
- have a clear understanding of the context for transition towns, and the transformational possibilities that arise from the twin challenges of climate change and peak oil
- know what the TT model is including an in-depth look at the key steps, from inspiration, setting up the initiating group, all the way to having active and effective working groups
- have experienced a joint visioning process
- understand how to organise effective meetings such as public talks, open space days and small theme working groups
- understand the purpose and principles of an Energy Descent Plan
- have formed useful contacts with other Transition initiatives, and met some of those involved in Transition Australia Network
- have a plan of action for themselves and their locality
- be equipped with skills, resources and support to take their plan forward
This training will follow the transition model in paying attention to both the outer work and the inner work necessary for a successful transition process. This will be a participatory process, with delegates invited to share their own experience and learn from the many different transition initiatives represented at each course.